Bracket’s Vast To Launch Cancer Foundation

Nwanchukwu Ozioko popularly known as Vast, of the music group Bracket, who recently returned to Nigeria after undergoing treatment for blood cancer in the UK, said that the illness has brought him closer to God.



According to Nigerian Telegraph, Vast said: “I was feeling very sick, but couldn’t go for extensive treatment on time because I had many shows and we had been paid up-front.

“I had several commitments that I had to round off in 2012, so that my treatment can begin in 2013; even from January 2013. So, I was going to a hospital in Nigeria. But they couldn’t diagnose what was wrong with me. After some months, the dermatologist advised me to travel abroad.

“During this period I started praying. I didn’t have any hope, I prayed to God because I don’t how I will end or what will happen, so after the second treatment, I started feeling better. I started exercising, because the doctor advised I do so.

“However, I have learnt that life is precious and that no matter what you do, no matter where ever you are, don’t look down on anybody because you don’t know who will help you tomorrow.

“Here in Nigeria, cancer patients are treated like animals because they lack the funds for treatment. To get cancer drug is very difficult and very expensive. One chemotherapy costs up to N1.4 million, and you are going to have eight circles. So in Nigeria, before you can receive the treatment, you will need to prove that you can pay and when you are not able to do that, the management will keep you in the hospital.

“That is why we have made up our minds to float a Cancer Foundation. We have spoken to some people about the foundation and they like the idea. At least every year, we should treat like 10 cancer patients. If we work on it and every Nigerian contributes and makes it work, before you know it, we can have a cancer-free Nigeria. It is very possible,” he said.

“With a well-equipped cancer foundation near the people, detection will be faster, earlier and possibly treated with antibiotics. Some people say cancer is a big man sickness, but now, it’s like malaria because you don’t know what causes it.

“Some people were asking if I smoke, but the truth is that I don’t. In the London hospital, smoking was the least thing that caused many people’s cancer.

“I still have remnants of the blood cancer in my system so the doctor advised that if I decide to get married, I will have to use protection because if I make baby, it might come deformed because of the medication. I still have to be protected for the next five months. I have to be careful with the things I eat and my lifestyle generally,” he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment